Senior Manufacturing Engineer
SKYDEX is the industry leader in developing protective materials that mitigate shock, dampen vibration, and provide superior cushioning for the most demanding military and commercial uses.
This position serves as the highest level technical resource as it relates to the company’s manufacturing methods, tooling, and equipment. The Senior Manufacturing Engineer has a thorough understanding of process development, productivity, continuous improvement, and repeatability. He or she would work with associates of all levels including directors, managers, engineers, machine operators, and quality inspectors. Using advanced manufacturing concepts and tools, this position designs and implements process changes that impact the outcome of our products. He or she provides guidance and support to the product development team on manufacturability and serves as a mentor for other manufacturing engineers.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of polymers and plastics processing. Experience with thermoplastic elastomers is preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Areas of involvement will include technical competency development and deployment as training programs are developed, commercialization support, and capital project development and implementation.
- Hands-on ability to develop new and improve existing manufacturing processes.
- Manage the facility’s maintenance program, provide technical support to repair and/or replace equipment and tooling, as well as modify existing production equipment to improve both reliability and functionality which requires knowledge in both electrical and mechanical systems.
- Provide day-to-day support to the manufacturing lead and operators.
- Drive manufacturing activities for new products by supporting prototype development runs and the commercialization of new products to minimize waste and maximize efficiencies.
- Provide technical solutions and manufacturability feedback of products as it relates to tooling design and manufacturing process steps.
- Design tooling in SolidWorks and perform peer review of tooling designs for application, manufacturability, and systems integration.
- Drive the development of tooling best practices and implementation.
- Apply Lean manufacturing principles and serve as the 5S champion.
- Possess a methodical approach to problem solving.
- Apply attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- Drive process failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) activities.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works within the parameters of the SKYDEX Technology Inc. quality management system and is responsible for the quality of work performed as part of the duties of this position.
- Follows such record keeping and ordering procedures that are laid down in relation to the operational procedures of the department and company. This includes keeping appropriate records of work done, including engineering drawings, maintenance records, and worksheets using various systems.
- Carries out all work in a manner that takes into account the safety of themselves and others in accordance with the company’s safety policy documents.
- Takes the necessary steps to preserve commercial confidentiality and any other aspects of confidential information.
Work Environment: Manufacturing floor and office – Some travel required (up to 20%)
Education: B.S. in mechanical engineering or other manufacturing related degree.
- 8-10 years’ related experience.
- Advanced SolidWorks skills.
- Experience with tooling/machine design and GD&T
- Experience with design for manufacturability and assembly
- Experience with polymers and plastics processing
- Experience with TPU or other thermoplastic elastomers is a plus.
- Process knowledge of thermoforming is a plus.
- Process knowledge of RF welding and other plastics joining technologies is a plus.
Licenses & Certificates: None
Skills: Microsoft Office
Physical Demands: Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Other: US Citizen