Product Development Engineer
SKYDEX is an industry leader in developing protective products that mitigate impact, dampen vibration and provide superior cushioning and is dedicated to Protecting Things That Matter®. With superior precision, durability and tunability, our proprietary technology is engineered to excel in the harshest environments and most demanding conditions. Our customized applications unlock value for customers across an extensive range of commercial, military, athletic and consumer applications.
We are a team of innovators, engineers and problem solvers - and we are dedicated to maximizing our partner’s and user’s performance. We actively seek every possibility to push our technology to its limits to meet specific impact and cushioning requirements. From enhancing Bomb Suits to protecting over 23,000 military vehicles and 6,000 marine craft, we leverage our technical expertise and keen understanding of our customer’s challenges to develop customized applications that deliver long-term value.
Product development projects begin through collaboration with the Business Development team to establish product feasibility and design requirements, then proceed through the creation and validation of prototype designs using our extensive in-house manufacturing and testing resources. Once the design is refined, the Product Development Engineer partners with the Commercialization, Operations, and Manufacturing teams to move the solution into production.
The position of Product Engineer requires a person who has a balance of technical knowledge and analytical skills and is accustomed to changing priorities and rapidly evolving projects. He or she should be able to organize priorities, maintain focus on multiple objectives in a high energy environment, and take these projects through the full development cycle, working closely with external stakeholders and cross functional teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Plans, schedules and conducts all stages of product development projects
- Guides cross functional teams throughout development process
- Communicates with customers, vendors, and other external partners
- Creatively solves problems while applying sound engineering principles
- Uses computer assisted design and engineering software (SolidWorks) to create product and tooling designs
- Develops and executes test plans
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications
- Conducts analysis of failure modes and risks
- Creates documentation for products, tooling, and engineering specifications
- Confers with development and engineering personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs
- Collaborates with others in the department on research and development of new technology
Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
Experience: Minimum 5 years’ experience in Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Product Development Engineering, or similar
- Experienced in SolidWorks or similar CAD software
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, ANSI Y14.5
- Experience with design of experiments and testing
- Experience with plastics fabrication processes, assembly processes and design for manufacturability
- A background in developing solutions using thermoplastic and elastomeric materials
- Complex 3D CAD including surfacing and organic shapes
Skills: Microsoft Office, intermediate to expert in Excel, 5+ yrs experience with 3D CAD
Physical Demands: Ability to lift 35 – 40 lbs.
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Ability to travel up to 25%
Competitive comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 401K with company match
- Company Stock Option Plan